Saturday, July 01, 2006

Amy Sedaris on Astrology

I just adore Amy Sedaris, admire her ability to be so creative and moonlight baking cupcakes, and I can't wait for the Strangers with Candy movie, so I thought I would share her funny and ironically insightful remarks about astrology, which she shared with Onion offshoot the AV Club:

I don't know anything about astrology. I know that crabs are sensitive on the inside but hard on the outside, and that in relationships it's hard for them to let go because they have pinchers and they collect a lot of antiques. But I go, "That's all I know about crabs." [Laughs.] "They feed off the bottom of the ocean, man. They're scum." You know, it's like a Cancer wouldn't be good to go out with an Aries, because you wouldn't find a ram on the beach any more than you'd find a crab up on the mountaintop. I like to think of astrology like that. I like to put 'em in situations....

I love thinking about crabs and their pinchers, and how they're all sensitive. And how they have a weird way of walking. Like, crabs will get to where they want to go, but they have to go their own way because they are side-walkers. They're not gonna go from A to B. They're gonna go all the way around, and then they'll get to B. They just have a different approach. So when I think of astrology, I like to think of little crabs and things. {Source: avclub.com}

Actually, despite the fact that Amy says she knows nothing about astrology, this is not a bad way of thinking about it. The intuitive associations we have with the various zodiac sign archetypes are quite often right on. Fire and water signs like Aries and Cancer aren't (as a rule of thumb) comfortable in each other's element. And indeed, Cancers are sensitive, have trouble letting go and collect a lot of antiques. They can definitely approach things in a sidelong, passive-aggressive way.

Then again, you can't always rely on Sun sign alone to determine compatibility. The Ram and the Bull are traditionally supposed to lock horns, but Amy is an Aries and obviously gets along great with her longtime collaborator Stephen Colbert, Taurus for Truthiness.

BTW, Amy was most likely born March 29 (which is what the "semi-official" amysedaris.com says, along with a lot of other sites), in 1961 in Endicott, NY... but there are a few sites out there saying she was born May 26 or was born in NYC. I'd love to do a chart for her, so please email me or post a comment if you have any info.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home



save_to_blinkbits