Saturday, February 18, 2006

Celeb Birthdays: February 18

Quite a few cool Aquarius people were born today, or at least people I grew up thinking were cool in the '80s....

While it's often mentioned that Molly Ringwald, who epitomized cool throughout my girlhood, was John Hughes' Brat Pack muse, I've never heard it mentioned that they share a birthday (she's 38, he's 56). No wonder she was so successful at embodying his characters onscreen.

Living-legendary rapper-producer Dr. Dre is 41 and still cool, though he loses points for homophobia.

I can't believe my lifelong crush Matt Dillon is 42. I would really like to see him win an Oscar, as I feel he was not only awesome in Crash but also overlooked early in his career for two of my favorite movies, Over the Edge and The Outsiders.

Thetan-free actor John Travolta seemed very cool and crushable circa Grease, but the whole Scientology thing kinda ruined that. Less Xenu, more Olivia Newton-John!

Cybill Shepherd certainly used to seem cool in the '80s, but now that she is 56 I just associate her with those mean TV movies she made about my beloved Martha Stewart.

Styx's frontman Dennis DeYoung, 59, will always seem cool to me.

Feminist author Audre Lorde would have been 72 today. She was very Aquarian in her radical politics and the way she engaged with gender, race, class and sexuality in her writing; I highly recommend her beautiful book Zami: A New Spelling of My Name.

Birth dates from IMDB.com. Please email me any corrections, additions or -- especially appreciated! -- exact birth times.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

<< Home



save_to_blinkbits